Monday, April 25, 2011

As if they still need to prove the stupidity of this country

Before I start ranting about these articles from Berita Minggu (Page 1 Page 2) here, please do read them as to have an insight of what I'm going to say.

I was pretty furious after reading it, thinking how can this be an issue when there are so many things going on in this country that actually worth our time writing a two page article about it. Then I remembered, this is Malaysia for Pete's sake, so my friends and I were making fun of of this topic and how irrelevant it is.

After the laughters we had, I got down to business and read that article again, thoroughly this time and I want to pen down my thoughts and opinion in this. So, let me write out my retorts that I have for the writer Rashiqah Ilmi Abd Rahim and the professors and also my opinions. I'm a civilised person, but I guess I might jump down from my apartment building because I read about someone ratting about the non-existence trend in Kpop fans. *cough cough let the civilised retort begins*
  1. The article is so generalised that us, kpop fans, feels degraded as a person, as if we don't have a brain to think for ourselves, that we need to be monitored, that we might just jump out of the building just because we can.
  2. The article degraded Malaysia, its music scene and its people. It is as if us, Malaysians, do not have a backbone that we will follow anything Korean when we are into Kpop. It is as if to say that the musicians in Malaysia are not putting their work out there or they are not good enough because Malaysians aren't very appreciative towards our own music scene.
  3. The article also degraded Korea as a country. No one in this world wants suicide as a trend. Kpop artists are human too, they too felt bad for people who commit suicide, their government are taking note of the numbers of suicide cases. Malaysia, as a foreign country, has no rights to say that Kpop artistes is the synonym to suicide. Malaysia has no right, what so ever, to call ANYONE synonym to suicide.
  4. A lot of Kpop fans find Kpop as a stress relieve, as a feel good activity, so I don't understand the part about being too into Kpop will make you prone to suicide. It is not like fans are going to jump off a building after an awesome concert. I see an influx of suicide cases and the reason behind is relationship failure, so why isn't a two page article written about the seriousness of it? Is it that IT IS happening, Malaysia turned a blind eye on it, because I must say, Malaysians are VERY good at turning blind eyes to serious and important issues.
  5. No one forced us to like anything, whether it is Kpop or the Malaysian Music scene. If you do compare the entertainment industry in Korea and the entertainment industry in Malaysia, both are very different. So, should you blame Malaysians, Koreans, our Malaysian programmes, Korean programmes, Malaysian artistes or Kpop artistes?
  6. As to the money-spending, I hereby stand and say, I spent over RM500 buying albums and DVDs. I'm pretty sure that Malaysia is trying to curb piracy, and we are seriously contributing our part in this section. Ask any Kpop fans, you will be pretty proud of us how most of us don't buy pirated albums or DVDs. So what were you saying about spending too much? Smart consumers manages their money well, don't go "ALL KPOP FANS" on us, it is baseless.
  7. I've never heard of fans robbing banks, stealing from others and harming others to get money to spend on Kpop goods. But I heard of many drug addicts and alcoholics doing so, so why a two page article about harmless buying but not so much for a very serious social problem? Where does your priorities lie in writing articles?
  8. If you did your research properly, dear writer, you'll know how a lot of Kpop artists help build the best in each individual. Almost all of them talk about respecting each other, have faith in God, love your parents, do not hate, and have manners. I'm pretty sure these are good values that we need to practice and not for you to shun upon.
So dear writer, dear professors whom contributed to this article, I don't know where did your assumptions came from, I don't know why would you look down on us as if we are little kids and we don't have a brain to know what's right and what's wrong, we are so much better than that. Just because we like something that is taking over the world, doesn't mean it is a bad thing. I've met some very awesome people, I've achieved better things, I'm learning a new language, I'm learning a new culture, we are very united, how are these bad things?

To all journalists, writers, media groups, please, don't try to find fault in something that does not concern this whole world about. Kpop is neither a social problem nor is it a lifestyle people are pursuing, it is just like any other entertainment business in this world, just like Mandopop and the American music out there, so why make it special?


It will be awesome if this country concerns itself with important things, like our rotten public transport, rotten policies, rotten almost every aspect except for its wonderfully delicious food. =)

here I'll sign out : a proud ELF =)

*write a comment below if you have an opinion =)

1 comment:

  1. i am pretty agree with what u wrote ^^ seriously this is too much for all kpoppers.besides can they take a look at other serious matter such as our citizen's socio-economy qualities and other stuffs that is far more important -___- and i dont like the way 2 professor's talking about kpop.not being biased but yes i wont buy BH anymore.LOL.

    =everlastingfriend=

    ReplyDelete