Saturday, July 17, 2010

Malaysians should learn

how to smile to strangers...

So I walked into this shop in Times Square...
*the same one I went with my friends to buy our friendship ring last year - Scorpions*
The salesgirl was looking at me when I walked in alone so I just smiled at her...
Since maybe to her I don't look the kind who speaks Mandarin...
*I don't even know how she judged that*
She shouted to her friend across the shop...
"Is she your friend?"
most probably another salesgirl...
*I didn't turn to look as I don't want to burst her little "I don't speak Chinese" bubble"
Answer came "No la~~~"
"I don't know she smiled at me just now I thought she knows me or one of us..."
"Is it..??"
"that's odd, isn't it?"
*The whole convo was in Mandarin*

OKAY~~~~~~
When did smiling at a stranger become odd...
Plus I'm a customer who came into your shop..
Don't you think is a slight courtesy to smile to them before rummaging their things... 
I mean don't people smile at the workers of the place if you just walked into a shop..
especially when you locked eyes with one of them...
What, you stare at their eyes for a second and look away as fast as you could??

So as I wanted to "make a statement"...
I turned to her, smiled one big one, nodded my head and said thank you before I turned my heels and left...
I hope that message can get through...

To Malaysians...
I know there are more of these kind of people here...
Smile doesn't cost you anything...
You don't lose anything...
so why be so selfish with your smile...
Smile more to people...
your day is a brighter day...

No comments:

Post a Comment